Thursday 5 January 2012

Mascara review part1.

Ok so I wasn't able to show all mascaras, because my eyes were getting a little sensitive after washing off the mascaras..so I will be showing 6 different ones for now and will do part2. tomorrow!

I also want to do a BLUSH post too... so keep an eye out for that one coming up soon ;).

Firstly I am going to have to write how I use and categorize mascaras...
I always divide them in to two groups :
  1. LENGTH/NATURAL LOOK: These mascaras leave your lashes coated root to tip in a more natural, thin layer.
  2. VOLUMISING LOOK: These mascaras usually are the ones with more dense bristles, many times they are shorter too. They coat the lashes in a more thick, strong layer.
Since we all have different eyelashes, you will have to try each one you buy, and then categorize them according to how it looks on YOU! You can't trust advertisements...for example BENEFIT Bad Gal Mascara does NOT add volume to my lashes, but I know people who have opposite results.

Anyhoo... So after you have done this you will apply the mascara in the following order...( I think it is the very best way to get the look of full, long lashes that stay curled up WITHOUT USING AN EYELASH CURLER!!!)...
  1. Cover lashes root to tip with NATURAL MASCARA... You do not need too much product, just make sure you coat the lashes to give them length and color.
  2. Take VOLUMISING MASCARA and ONLY apply it in the root area of the lash. The trick is to place it in the root and to wiggle the want in a left to right ( or vica versa..whatever) motion. TRY NOT TO get product towards the top of the lashes.

WHY this method works so well??
First off the less product you have on the tops of the lashes, the higher they will stay up/curled..if not, the product will weight the lash down.
Secondly, you will be avoiding clumpyness, and your lashes will look nice and fully separated from the center to the tip.
Lastly, the extra volume in the root adds depth and intensity making your lashes look fuller. It will also add to the definition of the upper lash line (Bonus!!).


PRODUCTS
Mascara number one is SEPHORA ADVANCE LASH BOOSTER:
Over all it is an OK Mascara on its own. The intensity of the color I like a lot, but the consistency is a bit too goopy, so your lashes may stick together a bit.
It is ideal for using to VOLUMISE THE ROOTS of your eyelashes.
It supposedly also helps lash growth, but I haven't used it enough, plus I am using LiLash so I wouldn't notice it probably anyways.
Link to what the product looks like:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31tkBKLOU2L._AA300_.jpg
Here it is on my lashes:

Mascara number two is STILA FOREVER YOUR CURL:
Great example of having to try each product out...the bristles are very small on this wand, and you would think it would work possibly better to give volume, but as you can see, it works better as a NATURAL LOOKING mascara.
The color could be more intense, but it's ok.
I like the smaller wand, as it is easy to control, and to coat even the lower lashes without getting too much product on the lash.
Link for the product:
http://www.s7images.com/is/image/ebeauty/970552?$380X362$
Product on my eye:

Mascara number three is TARTE GIFTED
LOVE the packaging!! It's wooden!! How cool is that??
I like the bristles and the wand very much! They are very dense and strong, so it works great for getting in to the root and combing the lashes apart.
CONS: The consistency. It just seems a little cake-y or dry even...it says amazonian clay on it, so PROBABLY that explains it! It dries out fast, and i do tend to get panda eyes from it a bit.
It's too clumpy as a natural mascara to use alone, but GREAT VOLUME EFFECT mascara...when you know you won't wear it all day...!!!
Link to the product:
http://www.terrasavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Tarte-Gifted-Mascara.jpg
Product on my eye ..Sorry this application is terrible, I was in a hurry ):

Mascara number four is JOSIE MARAN INSTANT NATURAL VOLUME ARGAN MASCARA (Loooong nameee!!!)
I have no complaints about this mascara! It does what it says...it gives a natural look and makes your lashes look thicker at the same time. I think it's a great balance of both "worlds". It is a lot like MAC Haute and Naughty Lash's PINK mascara...which I will show in next episode os mascaras.
It's obviously best for NATURAL LOOK, great for step 1. of applying mascara!
Link to product:
http://www.demeterclarc.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2011/03/GOGO-INSTANT-NATURAL-VOLUME-ARGAN-MASCARA.jpg
Product on my eye:

Mascara number five is HOURGLASS FILM NOIR
I was expecting to be totally wowed by this product, but I wasn't.
It could be more pigmented and it's heavy.
Better for VOLUME, as it sticks the lashes together, and we want separation towards the top of the lashes!
Link to product:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AJ4dcRUy_T0/TkHoKbTWAJI/AAAAAAAAAZo/DpjCDSluETE/s1600/Hourglass-Film-Noir-Full-Spectrum-Mascara-01.JPG
Product on my eye:

Lastly, mascara number six is FRESH FAIRYDROPS
I have to say, I am happily surprised how good this mascara is!
I have used other ones from this brand too, but this one is even better.
The wand was a little strange when I first saw it and the consistency of the product seemed almost creamy... but as you can see it coats the lashes beautifully and has a nice dark color to it.
In terms of natural vs. volume, I think it is a good middle ground...It adds length, a friendly amount of volume and check out the natural curl it gives!!
I like this one the most out of all in this post! (So far!! :))
Link to product:
http://www.audreydao.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/FAIRYDROPS-Scandal-Queen-Mascara-Photos.jpg
Product on my eye

What do you think? Have you tried any of these mascaras before?
They are all from sephora, but if you look them up on line, I am sure you can get your hands on them through other sources!

Happy viewing and I will continue tomorrow ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment