Saturday 7 January 2012

BLUSH,CONTOUR and HIGHLIGHT

All these are powders, I prefer these to creams or tints...although there are some good ones in those consistencies too (Stila, MAC,M.U.F.,BENEFIT's Benetints and High Beams...etc).

I just prefer working with the powders, I think they last longer and you can easily control the intensities. There are many different types such as matt, shimmery, shimmer with glitter, matt with glitter...etc.
As well as that, there are TONS AND TONS of colors to chose from! The only type I don't have and am uninterested in are glittery face colors... A little shine is great but with the glitter it's just way too 1980-1990's... time to put that stuff away!

I have a few different types, but I don't collect make up, just to say I have it, or like some people are huge MAC fanatics and just buy everything... I like makeup a lot and it's my job to use it... but I have a life and like other stuff too... ( with that said I love watching makeup collection vids haha, some of those collections are AMAZING! )

So the first palette I have, which is AMAZING , and it will probably last forever, I bought in NY at the ALCONE makeup store... The crazy thing is, I have no clue what the brand is... it has no lable, the color tins have no writing on them...nothing... it costed like 30$ though... I remember that! I tried to find it on their website, but no luck , so if you live in NYC and are interested, just go and check it out.

Probably the closest brand would be La Femme...maybe it is... not sure...anyhoo it has 12 colors in it and they are FABULOUS!! The pigmentation is crazy strong, so you literally only need to dip your brush in the color one and you're good to go! The color range is great, neutrals to brights, great for darker skin color as well! As a bonus you can use the colors for eye shadow too... its a mix of matte and slightly shimmery blushes.
The palette split in two:

Here are the swatches of the colors, NOT in order!! :
I think if you click the image it should get bigger...
So as you can see there is a GREAT color range and they are SUPER pigmented!!
If you want to get a good blush palette for work purposes (TV/Film/Print), where you need to build more color THIS is a GREAT option!! It will last forever and gives great results!

Next three FAVE blushes are from NARS...and one is a highlight...if someone gave me a chance/wish to have a full range of cosmetics from one brand..it would be NARS! I am obsessed! I Love all the products I have from them so far... love love LOOOVE!!
From left to right:
ORGASM: Pink with peachy-gold shine...looks great on most skin tones! You can use it in a a thinner application and build it up... it is a MUST HAVE for all professionals and would recommend it for personal use as well!!
LUSTER: Deeper golden-bronze peach tone... great for the summer, or to add a bit of a kick to any pinky blush...great for warmer tone skin...use it for a blush or bronzer!
ALBATROSS: AMAZING glowing highlight with the mix of cool shine with golden shimmer... ideal for fair to medium skin tone...for ethnic skin it can become a little bit ashy looking.
If you are interested in buying just 1 flawless highlight powder THIS IS THE ONE TO GET! trust me, you will not regret it! I use it all the time for photo shoots and always makes the models skin look amazing!

Next up are my two MAC Blushes
MELBA Powder Blush
and DOLLYMIX Sheertone Shimmer Blush

MELBA (left) is a matt peachy pink blush that is a great jolly joker type product for most skin tones and women who are in a hurry and want some color, but aren't THAT in to all the hype about face color.
It's very pigmented and buildable. Versatile from natural to more prominent looks.
DOLLYMIX (right) is what it is..it's a cooler shimmery true pink, that applies lighter than a usual blush. It leaves a veil of color but you can of course build it up for a stronger application. I think it works great as a product to give more depth to a flatter blush, or use it on it's own in a thin layer for more fun, lively looks!

Next up is SLEEK Contouring Kit in MEDIUM:
Sleek is actually a quite impressing brand, i have one of there eye palettes, and have had some students, who have shown me their stuff too at the school I was teaching at...they are very good and the price is more than friendly!

Getting back to this product... Lately in the last few years, it is more and more of a trend to focus on the face color and highlighting and contouring vs. just applying eye and lip color, which I LOVE! I am so so happy about this because I sometimes seriously feel it makes a world of difference to the over all look and gives a certain sophistication! I thank you very much RuPaul, Iman, Tyra, Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, Jay Emanuelle ( just to mention a few) and all you lovelies for bringing awareness about this and making it more and more popular!
If you are interested in perfecting your skills I suggest the following : Study a skull... look at the hollows and high points..understand the importance and dimensions of bone structure.
Next step is to practice... practice on girls and guys! Drag Queens are the masters of this look! Study the looks! Find and watch tutorials on you tube! Kevyn Aucoin's Making Faces is wonderful for this technique...his book and his work was mainly put together in the nineties, the era of the "Super Models" (Christy, Iman, Naomi,Tyra, Cindy, Linda...etc) when highlighting and contouring made it's first real debut.

The kit comes in three "shades"; light, medium and dark.
I have the medium and love to use it for photo shoots!
The highlighter is OK too...but I have some better ones so I don't use this one as much.
This is a great kit to have!

TOO FACED Snowbunny
This is originally a bronzer for light skin...true, but I also use it as a highlight for medium/tan/dark skin...it has a few rows of color in it, so if you wanted you could use them individually as well, or can mix them together. I love all the face color Too Faced has...they are all beautiful and adorable, I used to have more but after moving so many times I had to ween through my stuff and just keep whatever I couldn't live without. ( Sad Face :'( )
I totally recommend this brand if you want something beautiful, and don't want to spend too much money...
Here's a link to what it looks like, because I didn't photograph it:
http://img.makeupalley.com/1/5/5/3/1906695.JPG
And here it is on my arm, all mixed together:

Next are two other MAC powders:
One is SELECT SHEER PRESSED POWDER in NW35 (top), the other is MINERALIZE SKIN FINISH in SHOOTING STAR (bottom).

Have you ever bought a pressed color powder that turned out to be too dark? Either the sales girl sold you the wrong color, or possibly you bought it in the summer when your skin was darker, or maybe (because it DOES happen) the color after a while darkens/changes on your skin...whatever the reason...There is NO NEED TO PANIC! :) Just do what I did, and use it as a beautiful, matte bronzer or contour for light skin tones! I absolutely love to use this product for just that! Even when doing very detailed contouring along the nose, crease and brows! You will be left with a super refined naturally glamourous look!! Well, hello instant nose job!! :)

The mineralize powder was given to me from a dear friend of mine, who said it was too dark for her... she has a bit fairer coloring than I do, and even I can't use this unless I have a tan going on, so I totally understand why she parted with it..and I was glad to welcome it in to my cosmetics family! ( YAY! :) )
It's a baked mineral powder, with swirls of deep bronze shimmer, silvery shimmer and gold flecks... gorgeous as all mac mineral powders..although they do tend to flake a bit. Use it as a bronzer, highlight for darker ethnic skin, or a glimmering contour!
Link:
http://img.makeupalley.com/8/7/0/9/1258085.JPG

Last but not least is SEPHORA's SCULPTING DISK powder trio
I don't remember the price but it was the first sculpting product I bought.
It comes this a bronzer, pressed "neutral" powder and a highlight.
It's ok... I am glad I have it because the undertones are all a bit more ice-ey and cool, and most of my stuff has warmer tones.
I haven't used the natural powder too much, only if I am on set and don't want to run around with loose powder making a mess. The bronzer is probably the best out of everything in this palette. The highlight is ok too it's a bit pinky and can look ash-ey , and as I said, I think warmer tones are usually prettier.
The palette is ideal for on the go makeup artists...working on outdoor sets, who run around a lot doing touch ups... we all know how chaotic it can be to have to carry around and run after models and actors all day...so if we at least have some basic palettes for doing touch ups, our life is easier..this is great for doing just that! ( I used it on a film set, to add depth to eyebrows and facial scruff to male actors)
Palette:
Bronzer
Highlight

So there you go! :)

What should I post about next??? TIPS!! :)
Do any of you do highlighting and contouring? Have you got any of these products??

No comments:

Post a Comment